what is my problem with book covers that show a face?

2016 has been a great "reading" year for me and a horrible year when it comes to other "aspects of life" .Thanks to all the books I have read this year; I got to know more about the reader side of me, and one thing that I noticed when reviewing books is my hate to book covers that show a face. They say ,"Never judge a book by its cover" but let us be honest, who does not love a nice story with a very nice cover. The cover might not be that important but it is definitely a plus.Before I get to the negative side of the story, let me first talk about "what I love in a cover". Suspense and mystery: I love those covers that have so much going on that you have to focus and try to see what every element means (after finding out what that element actually is) and then chapter by chapter you start figuring out the puzzle. OMG! Those covers are ART. I wish I was a cover designer so that I could customize the covers that I do not like of books that I like. Now, let me get into the point of this post: BOOKS THAT SHOW FACES. I just do not like to know how a character in a book looks like. Obviously, the authors describes their characters, but I usually do not remember how a character looks like. I remember what they say and do which is way more important. Dear authors, a book is the only place where you can know a person (it's an imaginary person, but still...) without giving a damn about their looks. So, please stop trying to paint a face on a cover, because even if you think that that face is identical to what you have described, for me it never is and never will be. Sorry to disappoint you!
There is one exception though: When the cover is designed before the story is written, and then the author makes a life for that "face". I once reviewed a short story, and said that the only thing that I did not like about the cover was the face, then the author told me that after seeing the cover,only then she decided to write the story. Also, adult books... why do authors always (or most of the time) put a freaking shirtless male top model on the cover? The rule of never judge a book by its cover never even come into my mind when I see a book with such a cover, that is so COMMERCIAL. As I said, a cover is supposed to be a piece of art not a magazine cover.
I still have a few things to say about books covers, but let's keep those for another post.
If you want to know more about books that I liked but not their covers, you can read my review of The Glittering Court.
I would really like to know what you like or dislike about book covers, this blog post will be shared on Facebook (click here to see the post) please tell me what you think in a comment.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog post.
Take care and read books.
Ines x

This entry was posted in

4 comments:

  1. I never related to such blog in my whole life. THANK YOU SO MUCH Ines for this, I agree with every point you said and I definitely hate when a book has a face cover. However, there's this one that I haven't read yet (will be released on the 29th of this month) it's called Franco (by the author Kim Holden ) her husband designed the book cover for her and it's a guy's face, the thing about this book is that it's the next book to her "series" (I'm not sure if we can call it a series though ) the first book's name was Bright Side (the main character's nickname ). The second was called Gustav (Bright side's best friend) and this last book is called Franco (Gus's best friend) but this is the only book that contains a book cover and I kind of already like it, so this is my only exception. I hope you try reading Bright Side, I would love to read your review about it. Sorry for making this too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly care a lot about covers :/ but if the book intrests me I'll buy even if the cover is bad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Information and best treatment for facial information Nice information i think that it is the best site for information Thanks for best sharing and best site to get more and more information any informative if you want to get more information please visit the site k michelle butt implants

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great post Thanks for great sharing the best treatment and best information about nice and beauty treatment for women and men. however we are providing the best quality treatment for any client and in USA if you need please visit the site gwen stefani plastic surgery and get more treatment megyn kelly plastic surgery

    ReplyDelete