The Witch’s Curse by Megan Linski Mini Novella Review by Ines




What can I say?

Megan Linski, please write a freaking The Witch’s Curse series. 5 chapters are not enough for me.
This is my very first time reading a mini-novella and I can tell you that it is a torture, especially if the story is as good as The Witch’s Curse. It is like watching a very exciting movie trailer while you know that the movie will never be on Tv or anywhere else (do not even think about Netflex). Nevertheless, I have enjoyed reading it. I think it would be perfect for someone who wants a quick read in the afternoon, or someone taking the bus somewhere not that far…

I cannot write a summary for this mini-novella; it is already short. But, I can tell you that it is about a young witch with the name of Briar. She witnessed the murder of a girl (another witch) by some witch hunters. She was about to become a second victim to those monsters if Thomas (her boyfriend) has not appeared and shifted into a dragon in the perfect timing. Saved from the witch hunters, Briar decides to save her town and make sure that no one would encounter a similar fate of that girl’s she found dead in the woods. How is she going to do that? You need to read the mini-novella. This is a spoiler free review, do not expect answers from me.
I have not read many fantasy stories, but I am sure those who like this genre would enjoy this mini-novella. Fans of A Court of Thornes and Roses would have the same reaction as me: Megan Linski, we want to know more.

What do I want to know more about?

The history of the the town (Thorny Brook).
The time they are living in. 
Why did wizards and witches decide to reveal their true identity to the human world?
Males can shift into animals or methological creatures while females have magical powers, right?
Who are Briar and Thomas? I want to know the personalities, past and maybe future of these two characters.

What did I like about The Witch’s Curse?  (Check out the comments, Megan Linski herself answered my questions )

I enjoyed the whole story, but there were a few details that has drown my attention and made the whole thing even better.
The strong female lead.
The spells that are like songs or poetry (I do not know, they rhyme and I  have just enjoyed reading them out loud.)
Talking animals, it reminded me of animals in disney movies. By the way, the stallion who took Briar and Thomas home, was just a talking stallion or a man who could shift into a stallion and take adventage of his second shape to make a living (by taking people to the distinations they want to go to)?

What Did I not like that much? 

Just the cover: I have a problem with covers that show FACES. The dragons in the back are perfect; I would have love d to see a mixture of Purple and white (the colours of Briar’s powers), a cauldron, the witch hunters’ masks… Too bad I am not that good with designs and photoshop, or I would have made a personals cover just for me

( NEW INFORMATION: Megan Linski wrote the mini novella based on the cover, the girl on the cover inspired her and she wrote a story about her, you can say that she gave her a life. OMG, now I freaking love the cover. )

Make sure to come back and tell me what you think of Megan Linski’s mini-novella if you read it. It is always a pleasure to read comments and fangirl about books.

A big thank you to Instafeebie for providing me with an e-copy of The Witch’s Curse.
This entry was posted in

0 Comments:

Post a Comment